Have you ever wanted to learn how to make online MMORPG games like WoW (World of Warcraft) or Runescape without programming?
1. First, to make an MMORPG, we’ll need to register and login to MMORPG Maker XB and create a new project.
2. On the left of the editor, you’ll see two panels. The top is a file and folder structure which we’ll call the “Project Pane,” and the bottom half is the “Tiles Pane.”
3. In your Project Pane, open the “Maps” folder and double-click on the “Sample” map. The “Sample” level should now load.
4. The sample map should now be open so open the “Tilesets” folder in the Project Pane and choose an outdoor tileset. Once you’ve selected the tileset, choose a tile and paste it to the “Sample” map. We recommend using a ground tile for now. We decided to paste a dirt tile in front of the house door; here’s a screenshot:
5. Maybe we should spice up the house a bit. Let’s try adding an inn sign to the right side of the house. Click the “Layers” button at the top, and choose the top layer (Layer 3). Select the inn tile (you’ll need to click and drag to select the multiple tiles that make up the inn sign tile), and paste it to the right side of the house as seen below:
6. Click the “Play” button and you should see all the tiles you added and any changes you made to the map in live gameplay! Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like for us (notice the dirt tile and inn sign):
7. Click the “Save” button to save your updated map.
8. Click the “Import” button at the top to use your own custom tilesets, sprites and animations, or graphics.
9. Now for something a little more advanced. Let’s start creating a custom interface for our game.
10. Start by clicking the “Import” button at the top. Create an image for a chat bar and a message box. Import your custom-made graphics into MMORPG Maker XB. Make sure you import into the “Images” folder!
11. In the Project Pane, click the “Panels” folder so the folder becomes highlighted.
12. Click the “New” button at the top-left corner to create a new panel. Panels can be used to create custom interfaces, custom login and registration screens, and more. You can do almost anything with panels and it’s what allows MMORPG Maker XB to allow you to make fully customizable games.
13. After you created a new panel, your screen will probably look like this:
14. What you have is an empty panel. Anything outside the borders and in the gray area is considered to be “outside” the panel.
15. In order to use our imported images in our new panel, we need to use plugins. Click the “Plugins” button in the top menu bar and select the “Image Object” from the plugins list:
16. Click anywhere in the panel to insert the Image Object. Once you paste the Image Object, a dialog should appear prompting you to select an image. Select the chat bar image and place it wherever you want. We’re placing our chat bar at the bottom.
17. Insert another Image Object, but, this time, select the message box graphic. Move your message box graphic wherever you want. We chose to put our message box above our chat bar:
18. Insert a “Text Object” plugin which will be used to display message box text, and fit the Text Object inside the message box graphic (make sure you adjust the layers so the Text Object appears over the message box graphic):
This concludes our beginner’s tutorial for now, but if you want to find out how to add events and functionality to your custom interface (e.g. click events, show/hide message box functions, etc.) and if you want to learn how to create your first full MMORPG game, go to the MMORPG Maker XB tutorials section on the official website at:
You can get MMORPG Maker XB and get started on creating your own MMORPG game today at: